At Lyreco, we know that it can be very difficult to choose your shredder. You need to consider different steps to define the shredder that will match your needs: the shred type, the bin capacity, the duty cycle, the power requirements, your office space…
Moreover, once you will have purchased your shredder, you will need to make sure that you take good care of it. Out team of experts will be happy to provide you all the maintenance advise and directions you will look for.
What are the different shred types?
In order to select your paper shredder wisely, it is important that you are aware of the 3 shred types: straight cut, cross cut and micro cut. A straight cut shredder is a good option if you need to shred documents with low confidentiality. For highly confidential documents, you should enhance the security and opt for a crosscut shredder machine. If the documents you need to shred are top secret, you will have no choice but to purchase a micro cut GBC shredder.
What shredder do you need?
Several questions you need to raise in order to purchase your office shredder:
- The cut type: select wisely the cut type of your shredder, as explained above.
- The bin capacity: straight shredder fills up waste bags twice as fast as crosscut.
- The duty cycle: How often and how long do you need to shred? Larger paper shredders usually shred for longer.
- The power requirements: Large shredder machine may have higher power requirements.
- Manual or automated shredder: Automatic models do not require human loading. It can shred upwards of 100 pieces at once.
- Special features: Auto oiling, continuous shredding, extra features.
- The office space: Will the GBC shredder fit in the space you have?
How to maintain your shredder?
It is important to maintain your shredder to keep it in good condition:
- Be cautious about the paper capacity of your shredder: over shredding will cause jams and lead to permanent device damage. Shred adequate number of sheets only.
- Cool it: Paper shredder motors generate heat while running that requires time to dissipate. Do not operate beyond your machine’s duty cycle.
- Oil it: oil your GBC shredder regularly to maintain its optimal performance. Best practice is to use an oil sheet every 4-6 weeks or when your machine jams.
Discover our full range of office supplies
Lyreco offers a vast range of office shredder to fit any needs and budget. You can find brands such as GBC shredder, fellowes shredder and many others. Now that you gathered all the knowledge necessary, shop and shred it! Lyreco also provides a full range of file and label if you need to archive your confidential document.