If talking about the source of light that we are using. Everyone probably knows that the source is a light bulb, but do you know how many types of light bulbs we use, what are they made of, and what kind of light they produce? Today we will get to know different types of light bulbs.
- Incandescent lamp. Incandescent lamp, inside the bulb is filament made of tungsten. Provide high heat but the luminous efficiency is low. Another type is halogen incandescent lamp. Tungsten filament but contains halogens to prevent sublimation of the filament 2-3 times more efficient than normal one. Delivering 100% color accuracy, these lamps are commonly used in areas that require extra light, such as trade shows, medical devices slide projectors, etc. The advantages are the cheapest. Provides immediate lighting when activated.
- Fluorescent lamp also known as neon tubes. Tubes consist of lamp body, filament, starter, and ballast. The luminous efficiency of this lamp is moderate. Advantages of this type of lamp, provides a high level of light output and uses less power. Its lifespan is 10-13 times longer than incandescent lamp, and it produces less heat. But when the tube is deteriorating or near deterioration. The resulting light will be uneven and flicker, moreover, it costs 3-5 times more than incandescent lamp. Disadvantage is must be used with ballast and starter. There are also compact fluorescent lamps (CFL). These types of lamps are also divided into several types. Type according to usage both screw terminals and plug connectors are available with external or built-in ballast, etc.
- Metal halide lamp (Sodium lamp or Moonlight lamp) This type of lamp consumes a lot of power. The temperature of the lamp is high. But it produces high intensity white light and has a long lifespan. It is commonly installed in large areas that require continuous illumination such as roads, industrial plants, and stadiums.
- LED lamp (Light Emitting Diode) It is a new and durable lighting technology. High brightness, low power consumption and deliver low heat. No toxic substances like mercury are used or lead as an ingredient. It also does not contain UV rays that are harmful to the skin and eyes. Having good heat dissipation therefore causing less heat of the tube and resulting in a long service life. It has been around for a long time and is now widely used whether in industrial plant warehouse, both public and private office are more popular with LED lamp. Because LED lamp it can help save energy and save up to 80% on electricity bills. Performance in terms of brightness is greater as well.
Factors to consider when choosing a light bulb
- The number of watts (Watt, W) or the power used is a unit of power that indicates the power consumption of a lamp. The more watts, the brighter the light output.
- The lamp holder is the silver metal part below the lamp. There are many designs and sizes. Depending on the type of bulb, they are divided into
- Screw bases; E14, E27, E40
- Pin bases or Twist & lock bases; GU10, GU13, GU5.3
- Tube coating
- Clear bulbs are suitable for lamps that are designed to create patterns that requires a lot of light distribution
- Opaque white bulbs are suitable for use in areas that provide light without a lamp. that require uniform light distribution.
- The shape of the bulb.
- Candle bulbs provide a candle-like glow. Suitable for decorative lamps that only need a dim light.
- Round bulbs provide a wide angle of light. Suitable for lamps or lampshades.
- Long tube bulbs provide light like fluorescent or fluorescent lamps Suitable for general lighting.
- Color characteristics of light
- Warm white. Yellow-orange tone giving a feeling of. The color temperature of the light is below 3,000 kelvins, creating a warm and relaxing feeling. It is commonly used in various service locations such as hotels, restaurants, or home use.
- Cool white. White tone is a cool tone. Relatively brighter compared to warm white. The color temperature of light is 3,000-4,500 kelvins. Helps to make colors from objects look sharper and more intense. Commonly used for trade shows, signs, or used with stage lighting.
- Day light. Blue-white tone similar to natural daylight. The color temperature of light is 4,500-6,500 kelvins. It is the most natural looking color. Make the object color not distorted. Commonly used such as industrial plants, houses.